FocusedMuscularTension.com

@LionquestFitness - strength - confidence - health

The Forum

Forum Home > Body-weight and Self Resistance Exercise > Training and Burnout

Michael
Administrator

I think we've all been there before. Sometimes You just have to take a break and step back to take a look at what You're doing. When I trained daily with pushups it became a grind. I was overtrained, burned out and it just became un fun. Depending on what my goal is with my training I train a movement 1 to 3 times a week. Most of the time no more then twice a week. What I have found to keep me from burnout is a satisfying diet and a structured routine.

Also, enough sleep is always a good thing. Another thing is to have a specific goal I want to shoot for. Once in a while I change focus on what I'm doing. This all makes my personal morning time fun for me and that keeps me from burning out. Matt mentions most of this in this video. How about You guys? How do You fight burnout?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKGGenMvnek

--

You keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on you,

because he trusts in you. Isaiah 26:3

July 27, 2017 at 7:32 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Bob50

Michael,

You rised very important topic. 

https://philmaffetone.com/the-overtraining-syndrome/ ;

I understand that all people are different and have different goals; however, ~ 80% of them have muscle fibers that better respond to low reps and high tension to grow. When we progressively increase number of reps in each set, we increase risk of overtraining. I believe low numbers of reps (<8), 3 sets, and high tension (~80% of max) would be a good way to avoid overtraining even in everyday SRT.

--

Listen to your body, feel your body, drive your body.

July 29, 2017 at 2:19 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Michael
Administrator

Thanks for posting the article. Some nice points in it. I do disagree with You on this. No scientist but I do believe we have more of differant types of muscle fibers.Predominant-muscle-fiber-type varies among people. We all respond differantly to frequency, volume and intensity. I do not respond good to low reps and high tension. If I use high tension with low reps I need more rest in between sets. Also I would need more recovery in between workouts so this would turn more into becoming stronger. Strength doesn't always equal growth, atleast from my own experience. Someone else my be differant. Also if I'm doing high tension and low reps all the time I would get mentally burned out. But as You say You're differant.

http://www.focusedmusculartension.com/apps/forums/topics/show/13444394-high-or-low-volume

--

July 29, 2017 at 5:39 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Prowler

As late I've been doing 25 mins of Isometrics ( switching exercises usually a couple with the ISO Belt) and doing some Jumping Jacks for conditioning. Most days.Five to six. Simple and easy and if I watch my diet super effective. 

I work shifts my job can be stressful too much training can burn me out quickly. 

The working man as to factor in everything else in his/ hers life. 

August 9, 2017 at 5:43 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Johnny

Discusses the high tension concept. Really detailed comments to article too.

http://chadwaterbury.com/another-way-to-build-maximal-strength/

August 9, 2017 at 12:52 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Michael
Administrator

Thanks for posting that article Johnny. Good read.

--

August 9, 2017 at 6:12 PM Flag Quote & Reply

CW
Bob -- makes a lot of sense to me what you're saying re low reps.
--

August 10, 2017 at 2:04 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Michael
Administrator

I get what Bob is saying but I disagree that is the only way not to overtrain. When I said I don't respond good to low reps and high tension that was for self resistane, VRT or light dumbells. With these training types I feel like I did nothing with low reps and high tension. That's why with these I prefer higher reps. I have done high tension and low reps with kettlebells and that works just fine for me. But SR, VRT, DVR, and light dumbells are differant for me.

What do You guys consider low reps? CW most of the reps ranges in the Earl Liederman book were from 15 to 25 right? What do You think of that? Even though the thread was about overtraining Here are some more questions for You guys. Correct me if I'm wrong, rep ranges between 3 and 5 will build strength with not much size? Would you agree rep ranges between 8 and 15 would build the most growth? And 20 and above would be more for endurance? 

These are serious questions for You guys. I know You guys are talking about growth but not everyone is looking to get bigger all the time. You're only going to get so big without some outside drug help. Your genetics probaly determine this. Correct me if I'm wrong but You guys are probably less active in Your everyday lives compared to me. I need more anerobic endurance and muscle endurance than You guys would. Honestly I wish I didn't. These are honest questions. How would getting more growth help me? At 47 years old could I honestly get bigger without effecting my back?

CW, what does Your routine look like? If I remember right You do more of a minumalist approach that is like two sets for each exercise? Is Your routine HIT? I'm going to post what I've been doing later if I have time. I would like Bob and Your opinions. 

--

August 10, 2017 at 6:47 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Bob50

Michael,

As I mentioned, I always intuitively used “sweet spot” (8-12 reps and 3 or 4 sets) to build strength and muscle size. However, you know that these ranges may be different for different people. As I realize from your posts, your “sweet spot” might be shifted to higher numbers of reps and maybe sets. I think it is great if it works for you, and you certainly can get all needed benefits from training. If your daily motor activity is very high, as you mentioned, of course, your method of training is the best to gain endurance and strength. To be honest, big muscle mass is a stupid goal and it is not useful for the majority of life situations, including self-defense, which we talk about sometimes at our forum. Regarding me, I retired and my daily work is limited only backyard activity, therefore, I can allow myself some heaver loading during SRT. But again, I do not want to be very big. I only want to test if some SRT may help me to fight my illness.

--

Listen to your body, feel your body, drive your body.

August 12, 2017 at 7:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Michael
Administrator

Bob I'm understanding now. Like I said before I have alot of respect for You. Honestly when You were talking about low reps before I thought You were referring to 3 to 5 reps. Out of respect for You I want to correct myself. I originally put light dumbells with SR, VRT, DVR when it came to low reps but that's not the case. Low reps to me are 3 to 5 because of some of the Pavel KB stuff I've read in the past but I see that's not what Your talking about. So I misunderstood You, I appologise.

Most of my upper body stuff I do is in the 8-15 rep range. Pushups I do go to 20 reps. When the 20 reps get easy I go to a harder variation or make them harder by tension or some of Mike Joplin's techniques. I also like the three set rep range Greg mention years ago and recently (10,8,6). So like I said before we do train similar for the upper body we just use a differant type of training. 

My lower body I do use some higher reps because I much rather have endurance in my legs. Bob here is my workout right now. Please give Your honest opinion. http://www.focusedmusculartension.com/apps/forums/topics/show/13446491-progressive-calisthenics-routine

Bob keep fighting Your illness. Muscle mass, growth and strength is not stupid for You. For stuff Your going through in my opinion they are the most important factors. 

--

August 12, 2017 at 7:59 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.