FocusedMuscularTension.com

@LionquestFitness - strength - confidence - health

The Forum

Forum Home > Body-weight and Self Resistance Exercise > Rear Delts with Bodyweight

Michael
Administrator

I thought this may be an interesting exercise for some.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtRDHs6nTZ0

--

You keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on you,

because he trusts in you. Isaiah 26:3

June 17, 2017 at 7:46 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Prowler

Interesting. 

I do like exercises that are self Resistance across the body rows for the rear deals. It's an important muscle not to neglect! 

June 17, 2017 at 12:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

CountryBoy

I tried the exercise, and it did attack the rear delts pretty good, but I think it best be treated as a "do at odd moments"  exercise.

To me, the best rear delt exercise, without weights, is the old cable expander exercise, where you simply open and close the device while holding it at arms length infront of you. It is not only safe and effective, but it is measurable.

June 17, 2017 at 2:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Michael
Administrator

Yes You're right Prowler! 

CB, That is a good exercise also. Now this is just my opinion wheather right or wrong. The rear delts are probably more of an endurance muscle and to balance out the shoulders. Some people like something measurable but with the rear delts I personally think self resistance is measurable by the tension.I see exercises like in the video as an asistant exercise that would balance out the delt and keep the shoulder healthy.  Some people like self resistance some don't but that's ok. Like I said I like the cable exercise You mentioned and have used it in the past. Both have a little differant feel.

--

June 17, 2017 at 3:57 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Lionquest1
Site Owner

MIke thank you for posting this. This guy is a well built young man with a good grasp on bodyweight and isometric training. The absolute worst advice anyone can get is not to "waist energy" working the rear deltoid muscle which is part of the rotator cuff. The same people who used to advise this would then do articles about L flyes to recuperate the rotator cuff. They never got the disconnect. 

Now, I've taken a shot at the weight training world, so let's go to bodyweight training. The same principal applies. Pushups into Perpetuity is what I call it. Pushups everyday and done in high numbers. Unlike bench pressing where your shoulders are locked against a bench, pushups can be safer on the shoulders,. But, the same overuse principal applies. You need to exercises that work the rear deltoid, such as rowing, as often as you do pushups. If you do pushups alone, and do them daily for high numbers, over time it does negatively affect your posture and your shoulder mobility. 

So anyway, having done both weights and bodyweight, and made the mistake of not working rear deltoid, I do work those muscles these days. Nothing against anyone promoting anything different. You  live and you learn from experience.

--

June 17, 2017 at 8:00 PM Flag Quote & Reply

steve

the video posted reminds me al lot of some dynaflex moves , i am going to give this a try.

--

Continuing Health trek age 53 and onward....

June 17, 2017 at 8:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Michael
Administrator
Since Fred taught me the chest fly with the wall I've experimented with exercises like this using the wall. Some of them work pretty good. Yes they are different than other kinds of training. I would say they're​ more for bodybuilding or shaping. I liked some of this guys videos.
--

June 17, 2017 at 9:00 PM Flag Quote & Reply

stickman4

Michael; haven't done these in awhile. Its a good exercise - I always did these with back against the wall but my heels out away from the wall which makes it tougher. It helps to have your sneakers on as you don't want to slide down the wall either. I remember a couple of guys doing this with one arm at a time. Gotta confess  let that version slide, but I have a good empty wall here so maybe I'll work pn this awhile and give it a go.

June 18, 2017 at 11:47 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Michael
Administrator

Stickman here is a good chest exercise from Fred.

'' One that I like for the chest is self-resistance flies one arm at a time, like so: stand in a doorway facing the door frame, put your hand on the wall so that your arm is in the finish position of a chest fly...now turn at the waist ninety degrees to get into the start position of a fly. Now simply apply pressure with your hand on the wall and allow yourself to be turned back to facing the frame, that is, you are pulling with your arm, resisting with the rest of your body at a level that allows your chest muscles to shorten and turn you. I hope that's clear....you can also put your forearm on the doorframe and do a "pec deck" type of exercise. The pec deck style is limited to upper arm horizontal (middle chest emphasis) but the fly style can be done at an "incline" to work the upper chest more. This type of SR, where you use an immovable object and create movement by yielding with the rest of the body, is one of my favorite ways to train...many of the Frank Rudolph Young exercises were done this way (for example the biceps exercise in the big arms (or was it giant arms?) course.''

Stickman what I like about these kind of exercises is the person doing them applies the resistance that's good for them. I know some guys don't but I prefer higher reps. I think this gets to the higher endurance muscle fibers. This for me helps in injury prevention. But again that has been my personal experiance.

--

June 18, 2017 at 12:48 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.