FocusedMuscularTension.com

@LionquestFitness - strength - confidence - health

The Forum

Forum Home > Body-weight and Self Resistance Exercise > Chin Up Improvement

Michael
Administrator

It may not have much interest with some of the guys here but I'll share anyhow. About two years ago I went a whole year without doing pull ups or chin ups for probably a whole year. Not for any reason special just some recommendations and my own instinct. When I stopped I was able to do 12 to 14 on a good day.

I've been trying to get back into them this year but when I started I was lucky to get 5 reps. Also before my pull ups were a struggle. I tested myself on Thursday with chin ups. To my surprise I made a big improvement on them. I've been doing 3 full body workouts a week and running on the other days. 

A couple things I've been doing differant the past 4 weeks is just 2 sets 3 times a week. Everyday I've been doing the F.R.Y. elbow fix, opening my hands wide and touching each finger to my palm. I've been doing 10 reps of the second two exercises morning, night and before chin ups. Also I've found when I don't wrap my thumbs around the bar my chin ups are way better. I have also been pulling more with my lats. My chin ups have never felt stronger. I use to feel them in my elbows but now this has changed for me. I have some goals with pull ups and chin ups that I now know I will get because of my improvement.

I can't claim I figured out how to make my pull ups and chin ups stronger. I got some little tips from the Kavadlo brothers. Anyhow, I know pull ups aren't for everyone and I'm not recommending them for everyone. But I think if one learns how to do them right they would feel them alot less in the joints and more in the muscles. 

--

You keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on you,

because he trusts in you. Isaiah 26:3

June 16, 2017 at 8:19 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Andrew Stone
Hi Mike Due to some past weight training injuries and perhaps age,53, I now only Perform parallel grip pull ups. I use a 2 seconds up and 4 seconds down tempo. I only perform these twice per week and have no elbow or shoulder problems with these. I use a dip belt and add a small amount of extra weight when I hit 10 strict reps. I appreciate that adding extra weight to Pullups may not be advisable for everybody. Obviously one could add extra resistance by DVR tension if required. Good luck with your pull ups! Andrew.
June 18, 2017 at 6:47 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Michael
Administrator
Thanks Andrew! I've added weight in the past. I use an old neck harness.
--

You keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on you,

because he trusts in you. Isaiah 26:3

June 18, 2017 at 6:55 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.